French Apple Cake – with a twist
Sometimes you want a simple and quick, not overly sweet coffee cake that feels as cozy as Fall. If you’re in the mood for that, this is your cake! Traditionally made with sugar, I subbed the sugar in the cake with honey. I also used spiced rum instead of regular rum, to give it a fun little kick! The best part? In an hour, you can be eating this!
What you’ll need . . .
You’ll need one small bowl and your stand mixer! Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl and whisk them together. Next, beat the butter until smooth in your stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Add in the honey, and mix, then add in the eggs, vanilla, and rum, and mix until it’s all combined. Remove the bowl of your stand mixer and add in the apple cubes, and mix in by hand, until all the apples are coated in the batter. It might appear that there are more apples than batter, but that means you’re doing it right! Transfer this batter to your pre-buttered 8 inch springform pan. I always line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper for easier removal. Smooth the top as best you can, then sprinkle with the granulated sugar. Pop into the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes. Remove, let cool 15-20 minutes, then remove from the pan and enjoy! I always like adding some vanilla ice cream to it!
Some notes. . .
- If you’d like to, you can leave out the granulated sugar. This just means you won’t get the crispy top on the cake.
- If you use large apples, you only need two, not three as I used.
If you liked this, you might want to try. . .
Tried this recipe?
Don’t forget to tag me on instagram @eyedocbakes if you made this, I’d love to see it! You can also share my recipe on Pinterest and Facebook if ya love it, and sign up for our e-mail list to never miss a new recipe!
Let’s Pin it!
French Apple Cake - with a twist
- 3 small - medium apples peeled and diced
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter cut into cubes
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp spiced rum
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- In a small bowl, whisk together your flour, baking powder, and salt, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare an 8-inch springform pan that you have buttered and placed a parchment sheet on the bottom of. In the bowl of your stand mixer, beat butter until smooth. Add in honey and mix until incorporated.
- Next add in one egg at a time, while mixing, then the vanilla and spiced rum. Mix until combined.
- Pour your dry ingredients into your wet ingredients and mix until combined. Next add in the apples and fold in by hand until all apples are covered by batter.
- Spread your batter into your pan and sprinkle the top evenly with the sugar. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool 20 minutes. Remove from pan and serve warm - goes great with ice cream!